Monday, July 30, 2018

Pal Joey (1957), 8

Joey Evans is charming, handsome, funny, talented, and a first class, A-number-one heel. When Joey meets the former chorus girl ("She used to be 'Vera...with the Vanishing Veils'") and now ... 
1h 51min | Drama, Musical, Romance | 25 October 1957 | Color, WS
Director: George Sidney
Stars: Rita Hayworth, Frank Sinatra, Kim Novak.
Hermes Pan ... choreographer


Originally a B'way show starring Gene Kelly, in fact, it was the musical that got Selznick to bring him to H'wood. Other movie names in that B'way cast: Stanley Donen, Van Johnson, June Havoc (as Gladys).

Although I rate this an 8, it's one of my favorite musicals, because of the songs and the 3 stars. I probably value RH's strong independent woman too, even though she got her money from marriage/widowhood. I'm very glad the studio brought in other R&H hits to flesh out this score.

Songs performed (28 chapters with menu), all by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Lorenz Hart; *indicates the song is from the B'way show:
  • ch3. That Terrific Rainbow*, Performed by Barbara Nichols, Kim Novak (dubbed by Trudy Stevens) and Chorus 
  • ch4. I Didn't Know What Time It Was, Performed by Frank Sinatra 
  • ch5. Great Big Town*(I think this is "Chicago" with new lyrics?), Performed by Kim Novak (dubbed by Trudy Stevens), Barbara Nichols and Chorus 
  • ch7. There's A Small Hotel, Performed by Frank Sinatra 
  • ch9. Zip*, Performed by Rita Hayworth (partially dubbed by Jo Ann Greer) 
  • ch12. I Could Write A Book*, Performed by Frank Sinatra and Kim Novak (dubbed by Trudy Stevens) 
  • ch18. The Lady is a Tramp, Performed by Frank Sinatra 
  • ch19. Bewitched*, Performed by Rita Hayworth (partially dubbed by Jo Ann Greer) 
  • ch21. My Funny Valentine, Performed by Kim Novak (dubbed by Trudy Stevens) 
  • ch22. Bewitched*, reprised by Frank Sinatra 
  • ch24. strip number, medley of tunes, danced by KN & 2 chorines
  • ch27. What Do I Care For a Dame, Performed by Frank Sinatra, Rita Hayworth, Kim Novak, Barbara Nichols and Ensemble 
  • ch28. I Could Write A Book*, reprise by offscreen chorus
  • ch?. Plant You Now, Dig You Later*, Performed by the Chorus 
  • Do It the Hard Way*, Instrumental only 
  • Take Him*, Instrumental only 
  • Happy Hunting Horn*, Instrumental only 

I wonder if KN liked green dresses, or if it's coincidence that she's got one here about the same color & style as the one in Vertigo ('58). Actually, RH also has a green dress here, but the color is not so vivid & noticeable. 

Back in the days when I was working, I used this to soothe myself to sleep. It was hard to stay awake this time, but I managed the 2nd time through.

Columbia, dir. Sidney; 8