Thursday, July 12, 2018

Artists and Models (1955), 6+ Color, WS

Rick Todd uses the dreams of his roommate Eugene as the basis for a successful comic book.
1h 49min | Comedy, Musical, Romance | 7 November 1955 | Color, WS
Director: Frank Tashlin
Stars: Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Shirley MacLaine, Dorothy Malone.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047840/
Watched online, excellent print.

5 songs performed per the Soundtracks.

It's another M&L comedy. Only 2 more left, both in '56.

2nd film for SM; 1st was The Trouble with Harry ('55, Hitchcock). She's a good match for JL.

This has a very colorful production number during the A&M ball. Just showgirls standing around, but costumes are chromatically varied and pleasing.

It took me several attempts to finish the film, and I'm sure I missed some segments (kept falling asleep). I caught on to the plot thread cited in the synopsis above, but I couldn't write a more detailed version.

DM dances more than once, including with a bunch of children. He actually can dance. But like Bing Crosby, he does it in a way to communicate that this is not his thing, don't judge his dancing. But like BC, he can actually do it.

The problem will be, that after the breakup of M&L, I don't think DM does much physical comedy. And he's good at it, and I like watching him do it. I just find JL so overbearing that I rarely enjoy the overall product.

Wallis-Hazen, distr. Paramount, dir. Tashlin; 6+