Sunday, February 11, 2018

Lady of Burlesque (1943), 6+

After one member of their group is murdered, the performers at a burlesque house must work together to find out who the killer is before they strike again.
1h 31min | Comedy, Music, Mystery, Romance | 1 May 1943
Director: William A. Wellman
Stars: Barbara Stanwyck, Michael O'Shea, J. Edward Bromberg.
Daniel Dare ... dance director (as Danny Dare)

Watched on AmazonPrime; also have on a megapack. ok copy.

The only musical numbers are onstage at the burlesque theatre. In one, BS dances, doing the splits twice, plus some Russian-style squat-kicks. I was impressed.

I don't usually like MOS, but here, with BS, I do. Usually I don't like when the woman says "get lost" and the man persists. But here it's not just persistence; events push them together. But then BS turns against him once more (I didn't understand why) before events push some more.

The murder plot is hard to follow, especially when they explain the solution.

I like this movie. Without BS, I probably would not.

Hunt Stromberg Productions, distr. UA, dir. Wellman; 6+