Thursday, February 1, 2018

Big City Blues (1932); 6 {nm}

Young man from small town moves to New York City looking for better life.
1h 3min | Comedy, Drama | 18 September 1932
Director: Mervyn LeRoy
Stars: Joan Blondell, Eric Linden, Jobyna Howland

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022676/

(Finally ordered the other Forbidden Hollywood sets, and this disc looked badly scuffed. It plays fine.)

JB is always welcome on my screens. She plays a jaded New Yorker who responds sympathetically to our protagonist.

This film rests on Eric Linden, an unfamiliar name/face to me. He does a great job (although I watched this on my portable player, so maybe I wouldn't like the performance as well on a normal-sized screen.) It's hard to believe this was only an hour (I can't check that on the portable); a lot happened to his bumpkin.

Very good and surprising ending.

Warner, dir. LeRoy; 6