Tuesday, December 12, 2017

You're a Sweetheart (1937), 6+

Hal Adams tries to win the heart of Broadway star Betty Bradley.
(96 min) Released 1937-12-26
Director: David Butler
Stars: Alice Faye, George Murphy, Ken Murray
Carl Randall ... choreographer

Genres: Musical | Romance
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029809/
Watched online; worst video quality imaginable.

It's hard to judge this film, given that I could only recognize Alice Faye by voice in some scenes.

I liked AF playing a performer, selling her song onstage.

Some of the jokes were actually funny to me.

I think George Murphy confirmed my recent theory: he dances better when he doesn't feel intimidated by "better" dancers. He and AF dance a couple of times, and he gets pretty athletic. This might even belong on my "worthwhile dancing" list, but without a watchable copy, I won't go there.

I'd really like to see a good print of this. But it's from Universal, and they don't seem to want to share their musicals. I'll keep it on my wishlist.

Universal, dir. Butler; 6+