Sunday, December 3, 2017

Make a Wish (1937), 5-

While at summer camp in the Maine woods, little Bobby Breen befriends composer Basil Rathbone, who left the city to try and break his creative block, and is soon playing matchmaker for his ... 
(77 min) Released 1937-08-27
Director: Kurt Neumann
Stars: Bobby Breen, Basil Rathbone, Marion Claire

Genres: Comedy | Musical
Watched on Amazon Prime

This is my last Bobby Breen movie, and my last blurry public domain film - unless I have a compelling reason to watch. My first instinct was not to watch them, then I found a couple that were pretty good, but now I've lost my patience for it. It hurts a lot that the audio was bad too.

Here the compulsion might have been to see Basil Rathbone in a musical, but he doesn't sing or dance, so it's just standard Breen stuff.

The poster is very informative: the child dominates the story, just like in a ST movie. And I don't like children with the full burden on their shoulders. (I know, I'm repeating myself.) The kid sings well, but let's give some adults a chance to dazzle instead.

Oh yeah, I forgot about his production deal (I never looked for how it worked.)

Bobby Breen Productions + Sol Lesser Productions / distr. RKO, dir. Neumann; 5-

Update 8Aug2020: bought a copy (public domain). I'm much happier with it today, because I haven't been watching musicals/30s films, so I'm thrilled to see D.Meek, L.Erroll+others, B.Rathbone against type, plus SONGS. Both this and Let's Sing Again ('36, watched y'day) do remind me of S.Temple stories. Upgrade to  6.0 (130); 6.