Thursday, December 28, 2017

Fisherman's Wharf (1939), 8-

Carlo Roma and his foster-son, Toma, and their friend Beppo, are living a happy fisherman's life in San Francisco until Carlo's widowed sister-in-law, Stella, shows up with her brat-son, ... 
(72 min) Released 1939-02-03
Director: Bernard Vorhaus
Stars: Bobby Breen, Leo Carrillo, Henry Armetta, Lee Patrick

Genres: Adventure | Drama | Music
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031313/
Watched online; nice print; available on Amazon Prime.

I finally LOVED a Bobby Breen film. This has LOTS of music (people entertaining each other and themselves with instruments). And the story was riveting. I won't say more; the plot summary above says enough.

Leo Carrillo and Henry Armetta (I liked him in Road Demon ('38), a few films ago) portray a warm loving family for BB; they also have a long-term cook/housekeeper at home for the mother-figure. The fishing business has its dangers, so sometimes I watched to see whether a character gets injured or worse. When the sis-in-law and son arrive, they gum up the works but good. At the end it's not clear that all her damage is undone.

Lee Patrick (b. 1901) plays the sis-in-law. She's a familiar face. 68 movie credits: 1929, '37-'64, '75. I think of her as a Noir character (she was certainly femme fatale here, without any fatalities); but her most Noir role as I scan her titles is as Sam Spade's sec'y in The Maltese Falcan ('41), where she's wise and supportive in a flippant way.

This has good music, good plot and good watchable acting (as contrasted with good acting that I don't want to witness, e.g. The Danish Girl (2015).) 

I never thought "this could have been omitted" during any scene. It's been 8 days and 24 films since I liked something (that I hadn't previously rated) well enough to give it a 7- (College Swing '38). I may be over-reacting...I'm sorely tempted to give this an 8. Wow, the 47 voters on IMDb give this 5.8. Only 3 women voted for it, all age 45+, avg 6.3. Then again, 12 people didn't identify as male or female. Similarly, 13 didn't identify as US or non-US voters; oops, I would have been one of those; that's fixed.

Sol Lesser Productions, distr. RKO, dir. Vorhaus, 8-

17Sep2020 update: Bought the Alpha Video version, and it was BAD quality, plus that particular film skipped. So I bought the Roan version, and it is pretty darned good.