Friday, December 15, 2017

Outside of Paradise (1938), 6

Daniel Francis O'Toole, singing maestro in a New York restaurant, finds himself the unexpected heir to an estate in Ireland. He doesn't have money enough for the passage to Ireland, but the... 
(68 min) Released 1938-02-07
Director: John H. Auer
Stars: Phil Regan, Penny Singleton, Bert Gordon
Larry Ceballos ... choreographer

Genres: Comedy | Musical | Romance
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030540/
Watched online, poor quality print. Several were available; try another if nothing official is released.

(I also recognize Peter Lind Hayes, but his credits don't show me why.)

I like Phil Regan: he's handsome, has a warm tenor voice, and is competent with comedy. His career needed better management/cultivation: 24 movie credits total ('33-'50), his 5th gives him a named character, and it's Dames ('34) at Warner. This is his 8th film in this quest, with at least 2 more to come.

Penny Singleton has a distinctive voice; I recognized her before I could make out her face. I think I watched a lot of Blondie movies as a kid, when they were on local TV.

We get some pretty good dancing when they turn the castle into a nightclub. Unfortunately the Soundtracks doesn't identify the dancers (but does identify the choreographer's number: Shenanigans, where the good dancing is, at about 59 min), nor does the Full Cast page help. This movie also didn't make the Tap! Appendix. Is that Hayes doing the good, foreshortened, tapping? I won't put this in the "worthwhile dancing" list until a decent print is available. So I put it in the Wishlist Dancing queue. Ain't gonna buy the Alpha Video version, especially with no reviews.

Republic, dir. Auer; 6