Friday, March 15, 2019

Rent: Live (2019), 6

TV-14 | 2h 14min | Musical | TV Movie 27 January 2019
The story of several friends in New York City facing financial poverty, homophobia, AIDS, and, of course, rent.
Directors: Michael Greif, Alex Rudzinski
Stars: Vanessa Hudgens, Jordan Fisher, Tinashe.
Sonya Tayeh ... Choreographer

watched on dvr

No songs in the Soundtracks, plenty onscreen.

This production is semi-live. "Roger" broke his foot/leg during the last dress rehearsal, so all but the finale was a recording of a dress rehearsal complete with screaming audience. (Is that the new B'way etiquette? Scream like it's a high school dance show? I had the same complaint about JC Superstar ('18).)

This show is too long and doesn't hold my attention. I don't mean just this production.

Prior: 
Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway (2008), 6 (This was the final performance after 12 years.)

I was not impressed with Angel's voice. Everyone else was fine.

A little confusing for me: Keala Settle (bearded lady from The Greatest Showman ('17)) played multiple minor roles. But she stood out for her vocals, and because I'd watched the extra features on the TGS disc, I knew what she looked like without the beard. 

Still haven't warmed to the show. I don't think I'll burn this one to dvd. The best of them is the one I already own (with mostly the original cast and the great dancing by Angel, probably possible only on film.) IMDb raters disagree: ('05) had a rating of 7.0, ('08) was 8.0 at the time of my notes.

Rated 6.2 (1,048) 

distr. Fox TV, dir. Greif & Rudzinski; 6