Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Liza's at the Palace (2009), 6

1h 58min | Musical | TV Movie
Liza Minnelli's 2009 Tony Award-winning concert, LIZA'S AT THE PALACE, recorded at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on October 1, 2009. Act One features favorite songs by Ms. Minnelli, including Cabaret, Maybe This Time, What Makes a Man a Man, and My Own Best Friend. A first act highlight is Liza's rendition of the Palace Medley, originally sung by her mother, Judy Garland, at the Palace Theatre in 1951. Act Two is a tribute to Liza's godmother, Kay Thompson, a groundbreaking singer-dancer, songwriter, and vocal arranger/coach at the MGM studios in the 1940's.
Director: Matthew Diamond
Stars: Liza Minnelli, Billy Stritch
Stage director/choreographer Ron Lewis

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1534342/

I was surprised that I put this among my eBay searches, but I went for it.

As I was watching it, I _really_ questioned my decision. LM (b. '46) had, in this performance, a voice that has lived a full life, if you get my meaning. Even the audio excerpt played during the menu sounds rough. I don't remember seeing any dancers beyond the 4 men acting as the Williams Brothers, and they're singers, not dancers. LM mentions in the extra interview that she's on her 2 new hips here (and she's had 3 knee surgeries, per IMDb), so her own dancing is not what you would expect 30 years earlier. A couple of her song choices were good (Aznavour's "What Makes a Man a Man" especially.) But otherwise more raspy than fun.

Then comes Act II, where LM tells stories about Kay Thompson, and I said "ohhhhhh". That's why I was interested in this. The guys really do sound like the Williams Brothers, but LM doesn't try to emulate KT's vocal style that much. It just made me want the real thing (stated that no footage exists of with KT & WB), so right now my 3-cd set is midway playing. Interesting that it only takes Andy Williams for a backup group to sound like the WB, because that's the case on the 1st track of the cd's.

The bonus interview between LM & dir/chor RL is worth viewing again.

Rated 7.9 (34)

indie, dir. Diamond; 6