Friday, March 15, 2019

End of round 1

Quest to watch all the Music/als I could find, begun 17Sep17, ended 15Mar19
1568 Music/als watched; I own 838 of them
285 non-Music/als watched; I own 192 of them.

1375 unwatched entries remain in my master list of American Music/al Feature-length titles.
I hadn't discovered the Russian SM site where so many films are shared until some time in the '40s (I think). Hence the thought that I'll try a round 2, but maybe infuse more non-musicals. (I own 772 titles that I have not rated; all s/b non-musicals. I own 1494 titles that I have not made Notes about; almost 100 of them are silent.)

During the time of this quest, I acquired 650 new titles (estimate), and have not rated 191 of them. Of the 650, 202 are tagged Musical, 174 Music and 26 both, meaning 350 are Music/als.

One of those is Snow White ('37), the first feature-length animation film, in color.
Becky Sharp ('35) was the first feature-length film in 3-strip Technicolor.
Among the music/als I watched, 986 are color, without b/w tag, meaning they should be all color throughout. The first 3 (prior to BS) are 2-strip technicolor; the rest s/b 3-strip or a process roughly equivalent to Technicolor (which was phased out beginning in the 50s).
Notice that The Wizard of Oz ('39) is not on the list, since the opening sequence was not filmed in color; it would fit in at #8 or 9 on the list.
The same analysis for the whole list of American Music/als shows 15 titles before BS, and WoO would land at #24.
The same analysis for all the films I own shows only a handful of non-musical films in those early years. Amazing how slowly Color was embraced, especially compared with sound ('27) or widescreen ('53).

Enough for now.