Thursday, August 30, 2018

Camelot (1967), 8

The story of the marriage of England's King Arthur to Guinevere. The plot of illegitimate Mordred to gain the throne and Guinevere's growing attachment to Sir Lancelot, threaten to topple Arthur and destroy his "round table" of knights.
2h 59min | Adventure, Fantasy, Musical | 25 October 1967 | Color, ws
Director: Joshua Logan
Stars: Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave, Franco Nero.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061439/
Watched online, blurry.
Watched later on disc.

13 songs in the Soundtracks.

Much better than I thought, although I didn't get much from the visuals because of the poor video quality. I was impressed by the depth of emotion in this presentation, with the 3 principals all loving each other. Very clear what conflicts RH was having.

Nice voice for FN's singing; great not to have If Ever I Should Leave You sung instead of blasted, or at least that's how I remember Goulet doing it.

I might come back here if I see this on disc.

From watching my disc: I didn't get much more out of the visuals, because I still didn't just watch it, I played games too. However I listened closely, and got much more out of it. Knowing what would happen sharpened my listening, and in one lyric Lancelot declared that he had such strong will that had he been Adam, man would still live in Eden. Well, he certainly disproved THAT with his lust/love for Genny.

After Arthur first realizes Genny & Lance have strong inappropriate feelings, he says he is betrayed whether 'tis sin or not. Made me remember Jimmy Carter's lust in his heart, but contained there. Loved that Arthur first wanted revenge as a man, but remembered he was king and wanted to be a civilized one. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to have sat them down to talk through the situation, because things become messier and messier over time.

I liked the 3 featurettes; I didn't really make it through the c.track without dozing.

I'm bumping my rating from 7+ to 8, and that may yet increase with repeated viewings.

VERY glad to have been on this quest.

Warner, dir. Logan; 8