Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Pavarotti (2019), 9

PG-13 | 1h 54min | Documentary, Biography, Music | 7 June 2019
A look at the life and work of opera legend Luciano Pavarotti.
Director: Ron Howard
Stars: Luciano Pavarotti, Plácido Domingo, José Carreras, Nicoletta Mantovani, Adua Veroni, Madelyn Renée Monti.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6964076/
Watched the Fathom premiere event 4Jun at Irvine Spectrum 21. Theatre was not small and not full; most of the first 4 rows were empty, as were 2 seats to my right, which looked occupied when I bought my tickets. Unfortunately, the audience was mostly gray-haired.

Really a feel-good film, with plenty of singing for opera-lovers, and plenty of talking for those not so sure of that opera thing.

Covered a lot of his best roles, including footage from dvds that I have, and archival footage I've not seen. (Started with a really grainy clip. Interesting way to set our expectations, and it was the worst quality of what was included.)

I didn't realize how much he did for charity. Or how handsome he was when young, beardless and almost slim. Plus he might have died as a child (b. '35), but received one of Italy's first batches of penicillin.

His first wife and 3 daughters all were interviewed, as was his former assistant/protege/girlfriend, and his widow. Carreras and Domingo appeared to be interviewed for this project, but are listed as "archive footage" on IMDb. The cast list is incomplete, because a current opera tenor and a soprano were interviewed, and I don't see their names. Plus, it's ludicrous to list Spike Lee first; he's in 1 silent clip late in the film.

Ran an errand after, and by the time I got home I wanted to see it again. (So spoiled by streaming & dvds!)

distr. CBS Films, dir. Howard; 9