Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Passion Callas (2006), 8

1h 14min | Documentary, Music | Video 24 January 2006
1997 documentary with then-new interviews with people who worked with la Callas, as well as archive footage of interviews with associates. Film clips, photos and recordings illustrate her performance powers.
Director: Gerald Caillat
Stars: Maria Callas

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10549716/

(I had to add this title to IMDb. It went live in the time it took to watch it.)

I set out recently to acquire some Callas. I chose 3 titles: the Zeffirelli fiction Callas Forever (2002), the '62/'64 Covent Garden performances, and this. I did very well. There is almost no overlap among the 3; the most noticable is a bit of one of the Carmen arias from Covent Garden is here the small slice of Tosca here has her in a different dress, and a different camera angle than the full Act II on the CG disc. Likely some audio recording was used in both this and Callas Forever.

This focuses on her career. Onassis is included, but mostly because that relationship interrupted her career measurably (met him in '59). Meneghini is discussed a bit, but more as her manager than as her husband. Only slight mention of her mother that I recall, nothing about trouble there.

This focuses on her talent, and her deliberate study of the music to determine her performances. Her work with Visconti is here, but I don't remember Zeffirelli being discussed.

This is mostly in French, Italian, perhaps some Greek; some is in English. All non-English is subtitled, so it's a lot of reading.

The bootleg footage taken by a violinist in the orchestra pit is fun but silent. The still photos of performances are well-chosen to convey the emotion she transmitted onstage.

Now I'm torn whether to invest in more, particularly in audio recordings. I should listen to what I have on CD, try to transfer my LPs to disc. The recent (2014, 2017) "remastered" releases are rated high, but also highly criticized by one "expert" in particular. Besides, I want to see the performance while hearing it, not possible with MC beyond a few concerts and Tosca Act II on the Covent Garden disc.

(EMI), dir. Caillat; 8