Thursday, June 7, 2018

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. (1953), 4 Color

A young boy travels to an imaginary world where, assisted by his family's plumber, he must save other piano playing kids like himself from the dungeons of his dictatorial piano teacher who also mind-controls his mother.
1h 29min | Family, Fantasy, Music | 19 June 1953 | Color
Director: Roy Rowland
Stars: Peter Lind Hayes, Mary Healy, Hans Conried, Tommy Rettig.
Eugene Loring ... choreographer


The boy here, TR, became Lassie's TV master from '54-'57.

Sheer torture. If there weren't other titles on the disc, I'd hurl it into a dumpster.

I'm not a Dr. Seuss aficionado; the only tales of his that I know are the 2 Horton films (hears a Who, and hatches an egg) and the Grinch; I like those. I know _of_ green eggs and ham and other such, but don't know them.

This one has a high-ish rating on IMDb: 6.9 with 3.2k votes.

I would like to have enjoyed the dancing, but the absence of females in this film bugged the heck out of me. The only female I saw was the boy's mother, and she was hypnotized into being the baddy's henchwoman. And all the "whimsical" musical instruments were the main focus of the big dance anyway, not the humans playing them.

I felt the story dragged on and on. Perhaps this would have made a cute half hour film instead of trying to fill 89 minutes. Probably also needed to be animated, not live action.

Childish, slow, boring, sexist. 

Columbia, dir. Rowland; 4