Monday, July 1, 2019

Chimes at Midnight (1965), 7

1h 55min | Comedy, Drama, History | 22 December 1965
The career of Shakespeare's Sir John Falstaff as a roistering companion to young Prince Hal, circa 1400 to 1413.
Director: Orson Welles
Stars: Orson Welles, John Gielgud, Margaret Rutherford, Keith Baxter.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059012/
Mine is the Criterion edition.

IMDb: Sir John Falstaff is the hero in this compilation of extracts from Shakespeare's "Henry IV" and other plays, made into a connected story of Falstaff's career as young Prince Hal's drinking companion. The massive Knight roisters with and without the Prince, philosophizes comically, goes to war (in his own fashion), and meets his final disappointment, set in a real-looking late medieval England. Filmed in Spain.

I like OW's voice & acting in general, and this is no exception. The archaic language, not so much.

I don't find the character of Falstaff attractive/interesting in any way (apparently Welles disagreed, perhaps because of his alcoholic father, perhaps because of his own inclinations toward excess), not in Verdi's opera nor here. Now his companions (instead of the women he targeted in the opera) are playing tricks on him, taking advantage of his age/weight/intoxication.

I didn't really follow, early on, that Hal would become king; he just seemed one of the companions. Perhaps next time I'll know better.

As for the much-praised battle scene, I was extremely grateful it was not in color. Blood without color is easier to tolerate. Commentary or featurette pointed out that the brutality was indicative of the end of the chivalric era. I think I saw a moment of deliberate brutality toward a horse; hopefully the blows weren't real.

Did I miss a build-up to the deaths of Henry IV and of Falstaff, or were they as sudden as I found them this viewing? I know my attention faded during the battle, and was not as strong after. When I don't find the story compelling, perhaps I should take a break during olde language productions.

Rated 7.9 (6,837)

indie, dir. Welles; 7