Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Great Expectations (1946), 6 {nm}

1h 58min | Adventure, Drama, Mystery | 22 May 1947
A humble orphan suddenly becomes a gentleman with the help of an unknown benefactor.
Director: David Lean
Stars: John Mills, Valerie Hobson, Jean Simmons, Finlay Currie, Alec Guinness.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038574/
Watched online, ok print. Could've watched on Amazon Prime.

Watching the '98 adaptation made me want to see this again. Although my rating isn't much higher, this is a far better film, if only for the improved story. A lot more happens here than in '98. Plus JM is much more interesting than was E.Hawke.

But I can't say I recommend the film, nor even Like it, hence the absence of a 7 or a +. Again, the flaw of my ratings scheme, where too much gets packed into the number 6.

Rated 7.9 (20,243)

MGM, dir. Lean; 6